Livestock Marketing Association is hosting listening sessions across the U.S. with LMA membership to hear your thoughts on traceability and where our marketing industry is heading. Your feedback is important. Please plan to attend!
Dates & Locations:
- Orange Beach, AL (Tuesday, July 2 at 1 p.m. cst)
- Reno, NV (Sunday, July 7 at 5 p.m. pst)
- Oklahoma City, OK (Sunday, July 14 at 1 p.m. cst)
- Murphysboro, TN (Friday, July 19)
- Fort Collins, CO (Sunday, July 28)
- Kansas City, KS (Sunday, August 4)
- Fredericksburg, TX (Sunday, August 11)
- Miami, OK (Sunday, August 18)
Orange Beach, AL (Tuesday, July 2 at 1 p.m. cst)
Orange Beach Community Center, 27235 Canal Rd, Orange Beach, AL 36561
Hotel: Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Orange Beach, 3111 Loop Rd, Orange Beach, AL 36561, Reservation: Belinda (251) 543-4444
Reno, NV (Sunday, July 7 at 5 p.m. pst)
Nugget Casino Resort, 1100 Nugget Ave, Sparks, NV 89431
Hotel: Nugget Casino Resort, 1100 Nugget Ave, Sparks, NV 89431, Reservation: (775) 356-3300
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (Sunday, July 14 at 1 p.m. cst)
Embassy Suites by Hilton Oklahoma City Will Rogers Airport, 1815 S Meridian Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73108
Hotel: Embassy Suites by Hilton Oklahoma City Will Rogers Airport, 1815 S Meridian Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73108, Reservation: (405) 682-6000
Murfreesboro, Tennessee (Friday, July 19 at 10 a.m. cst)
Embassy Suites by Hilton Nashville SE Murfreesboro, 1200 Conference Center Blvd, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Hotel: Embassy Suites reservation: (615) 890-4464. Other options include: Holiday Inn Murfreesboro, Hilton Garden Inn Murfreesboro, or Courtyard by Marriott Nashville SE/Murfreesboro
Fort Collins, Colorado (Sunday, July 28 at 10 a.m. mst)
Fort Collins Marriott, 350 Horsetooth Road, Fort Collins, CO 80525
Hotel: Fort Collins Marriott, 350 Horsetooth Road, Fort Collins, CO 80525 Reservation: (970) 226-5200
Kansas City, Kansas (Sunday, August 4 at 10 a.m. cst)
Hollywood Casino at Kansas Speedway, 777 Hollywood Casino Blvd, Kansas City, KS 66111
Fredricksburg, Texas (Sunday, August 11 at 10 a.m. cst)
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 500 South Washington Street, Fredericksburg, Texas 78624
Hotel: Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 500 South Washington Street, Fredericksburg, Texas 78624 Reservation:(830) 997-3377
Miami, Oklahoma (Sunday, August 18 at 10 a.m. cst)
Buffalo Run Casino & Resort, 1000 Buffalo Run Blvd, Miami, OK
Hotel: Buffalo Run Casino & Resort, 1000 Buffalo Run Blvd, Miami, OK Reservation:(918) 542-7140
Please RSVP prior to the session by contacting Izabella Michitsch (email@example.com / 816-914-9543).
- What are your opinions of the current Animal Disease Traceability (ADT) system?
- What are your opinions on USDA’s plan to move to electronic identification for currently covered animals (interstate movement of dairy cattle and adult beef cattle) by 2023?
- If an external factor (e.g. major disease event, customer demand, government mandate, etc.) pushed the industry to enhance its traceability system, what would the ideal system look like from a marketing industry perspective?
- Specific feedback will be sought on:
- What are the major challenges and opportunities of traceability?
- Technology preferences for official identification:
- Should a single electronic technology be chosen as standard?
- Do you have experiences/preferences between low frequency and ultra-high frequency RFID?
- Who should pay for tags and readers?
- Is a bookend (birth/slaughter) or full traceability (all movement captured) system best?
- How important is tag retirement at slaughter?
- Where should animals first be tagged (e.g. on farm or point of first commingling)?
- If tagged at market, how many additional cattle could you tag each week?
- Should LMA push for a movement document alternative to health certificates that could be created by someone besides a veterinarian?
- What flexibilities should be allowed (e.g. group identification, direct-to-slaughter, to market across state lines)?
- Do you have opinions on the identification of breeding cattle at a younger age?
- Should information be held in a federal, state, or private database? Or by individuals throughout the chain?
- How do we best protect confidentiality of information?
- Besides traceability, what other topics keep you up at night? What changes do you anticipate the marketing industry will see in the next 5 – 20 years?